Prepares coaches to work with intermediate and competitive level athletes. This is a streamlined workshop with the technical and theory being offered in one weekend by Curl BC Learning Facilitators. No prerequisite is required. It is recommended that you have previous coaching experience or are a former athlete in the sport of curling. Learn about:
- teaching and learning strategies, tactics, delivery & brushing skills
- making ethical decisions
- emergency action plans
- skill analysis & drills to correct faults
- practice planning
- competition planning
The 4 steps towards full certification of Competition Coach are as follows:
- Competition Coach Workshop Training
- MED Training ** See Available options below
- Passing the online MED Evaluation
- Passing the on-ice Evaluation
Competition Coach Course Fees include GST
- Competition Coach & MED Training (2.5 days): $204.40 Curl BC Members / $244.40 for Non Members
- Competition Course Workshop Only (2 Days): $184.40 Curl BC Members / $224.40 for Non Members
- Making Ethical Decisions (MED Training Only): $21.00
On Ice Evaluation (after Competition Coach Course):
Evaluation Fees: $157.50 Curl BC Member / $174.40
- Trained Competition Coaches are evaluated by a Curl BC Coach Evaluator while they lead a one hour on-ice practice with 4 athletes. The appropriate paperwork is to be submitted prior to the practice, and involves pre and post mentorship with the Coach Evaluator.
- On Ice Evaluation (if challenging the workshop): $262.50 Curl BC Member / $294.00 Curl BC Non Member
- Please note that MED is required for obtaining competition coach certification. Completion and passing the online Making Ethical Decisions module (test) through the Coaches Association of Canada (CAC) is a follow-up requirement.
- The MED course can also be completed through online homestudy, via a partner or multi-sport organization or local college (varied rates apply).
2019-2020 Competition Coach Courses
Lower Mainland Region 11
- Location: Abbotsford Curling Club
- Coach Developer: Robbie Gallaugher
- Register Here:
Minimum Course Requirements
*Minimum 6 participants for a workshop to proceed and a competition coach workshop will be capped at 12 participants. If another learning facilitator can be assigned, more participants will be welcomed to register.
** A 3-hour required Making Ethical Decisions (MED) course is being offered Friday evening. Option for one or both element of the weekend is available on the registration form. For more details on MED click here.
Unsure of your coach certification details? Look up your NCCP Coaching transcript online on the Coaches Association of Canada’s database; the locker.