The competition coach course prepares coaches to work with intermediate and competitive level athletes. This is a streamlined thoery and technical workshop offered over a weekend with a Curl BC Learning Facilitator. It is recommended that you have previous coaching experience or are a former athlete, however there are no prerequisites for this course.
Coaches will learn about:
- teaching and learning strategies, tactics, delivery & brushing skills
- making ethical decisions
- emergency action plans
- skill analysis & drills to correct faults
- practice planning
- competition planning
Competition Coach Course Fees
Competition Coach Course Fees *Including GST
- Compeition Coach & MED Training $204.40 Curl BC Members/ $244.40 Non-Members
- Competition Coach Course Only $184.40 Curl BC Members/ $224.40 Non Members
- Making Ethical Decisions Training Only: $21.00
Competition Coach Evaluation Fees *Including GST
- On Ice Evaluation: $157.50 Curl BC Member / $174.40 Non Member
- Challenge Evaluation $262.50 Curl BC Member / $294.00 Non Member
- Challenge Evaluations are approved by the Master Coach Developer and Curl BC Education and Camps Coordinator.
The 4 steps towards full certification of Competition Coach are as follows:
- Competition Coach Course Training
- MED Training ** See Available options below
- Passing the online MED Evaluation
- Passing the on-ice Evaluation
On Ice Evaluation (after Competition Coach Course):
- Trained Competition Coaches are evaluated by a Curl BC Coach Evaluator while they lead a one hour on-ice practice with 4 athletes. The appropriate paperwork is to be submitted prior to the practice, and involves pre and post mentorship with the Coach Evaluator.
Making Ethical Decisions (MED):
- Please note that MED is required for obtaining competition coach certification.
- Completion and passing the online Making Ethical Decisions module (test) through the Coaches Association of Canada (CAC) is a follow-up requirement.
- The MED course can also be completed through online homestudy, via a partner or multi-sport organization or local college (varied rates apply).
2019-2020 Competition Coach Courses
North Region 5 & 6
- Date: TBD
- Location: Fraser Lake
- Learning Facilitator: Doug Dalziel
- Register Here:
Island Region 8, 9, & 10
- Date: November 15th -17th, 2019
- Location: Parksville
- Learning Facilitator: Karen Watson
- Register Here: Parksville Competition Coach
Lower Mainland Region 11
- Date: October 4th- 6th, 2019
- Location: Abbotsford Curling Club
- Learning Facilitator: Heather Beatty
- Register Here: Competition Coach Abbotsford
Minimum Course Requirements
*Minimum 6 participants for a workshop to proceed and a competition coach workshop will be capped at 12 participants. If another learning facilitator can be assigned, more participants will be welcomed to register.
** A 3-hour required Making Ethical Decisions (MED) course is being offered Friday evening. Option for one or both element of the weekend is available on the registration form. For more details on MED click here.
Unsure of your coach certification details? Look up your NCCP Coaching transcript online on the Coaches Association of Canada’s database; the locker.