Upcoming BC championships re-scheduled
Due to the rapid spread of the Omicron variant of COVID-19, and in an abundance of caution, Curl BC has made the difficult decision to reschedule the following BC championships:
- The 2022 BC U21 Championships in the Comox Valley (formerly January 25-30) have now been rescheduled to February 22-27th, 2022
- The 2022 BC Stick Championships in Kamloops (formerly January 27-29) have now been rescheduled to March 4th-6th
- The 2022 Mixed Doubles Championship in Langley (formerly February 10-13) have now been rescheduled to March 3-6th, 2022
- The 2022 BC Masters Championships in New Westminster (formerly February 15-20) have now been rescheduled to March 8th-13th, 2022
With Omicron infections currently sweeping through the province and expected to peak in late January, it was the prudent choice to move these championships events forward, especially since the national versions of these events do not happen until later in the season (Mixed Doubles – March 22-27; U21 – March 25-April 1st; Masters – April 3-10; and Stick – April 22-25).
The rise of the Omicron variant has also delayed events leading to both provincial and national winter games:
- The 2022 Canada Winter Games Mixed Doubles Qualifiers are postponed to the fall of 2022 and will be held in Golden, BC. The entry deadline will be extended to September 1st, 2022.
- The date and location of the Canada Winter Games 4-person event will be announced by February 15th, 2021. The deadline will be extended to February 1st, 2022.
- The Canada Winter Games 4-person Boys’ and Girls’ qualifiers are postponed to a date and location to be announced later.
- Announcements about the 2022 BC Winter Games will be coming from the BC Games Society in the coming weeks. We currently have plans in place to run some zone qualifiers in February, 2022, should the Game be continuing on the current dates they are scheduled to take place.
Arrangements for the 2022 BC Wheelchair championships (January 27-30 in Richmond) are still being discussed, but the 2022 BC Mixed Championships (March 10-13 in Kimberley), the BC Senior Championships (March 15-20 in Chilliwack) and the BC Club Championships (March 24-27 in Trail) will not be postponed and will proceed with on their original dates.