Grand Forks welcomed back into the Curl BC Family
Curl BC is extremely happy to announce that the Grand Forks Curling Club has rejoined Curl BC after a few years as an independent facility. The reunion became official last week, when Curl BC’s board of Governors voted unanimously to reinstate the club’s membership.
The Grand Forks Curling Club was founded in 1909, with a facility constructed downtown on 6th Street. The first ice was put in during December of that same year, and the club’s first event—the inaugural President’s Cup Curling Bonspiel—was held on January 5, 1910. From then-on, the city became Kootenay curling powerhouse, drawing curlers from all over the region with a full slate of events, including the Grand Forks Cup.
In 1977, the club purchased a lot on 21st Street, and built a brand-new four-sheet facility with a cafeteria and lounge. A deal was subsequently worked out where the City of Grand Forks would take ownership of the rink, and the club would then rent the facilities.
As a Curl BC member, Grand Forks will be able to participate in Curl BC provincial championships, training and educational programs, development events like The Business of Curling, benefit from our ongoing 50/50 raffles, and receive assistance with access to fundraising, grants, and discounted property and liability insurance.
Everyone here at Curl BC would like to take this opportunity to welcome the Grand Forks Curling Club back into our family of member facilities. We look forward to curling with you!