Our House is Your House

BC Community Gaming Grants

Curl BC assists curling centres with their BC Community Gaming Grant applications each year.

Read on to find answers to frequently asked questions about the application process.

Contact Jack Bowman at jackbow@telus.net or Scott Braley at sbraley@curlbc.ca if you would like to receive assistance with your application.

What are gaming grants?

Community Gaming Grants provide funding to eligible organizations for direct delivery of approved ongoing programs to their communities.

Who qualifies for gaming grants/ Are curling centres eligible for a grant?

Non-profit community organizations that directly deliver programs to their community may be eligible for a program grant. A program is defined as an ongoing service or activity designed to achieve one or more defined objectives.

Curling centres that run community-based youth and amateur sport programs can access up to $100,000 a year. If their programs are delivered regionally, up to $225,000 is available.

The amount approved may be limited if the amount requested raises federal and provincial government funding to more than 75 per cent of the total program actual cost. Community gaming grants are included in this calculation. The remaining 25 per cent may be satisfied in a variety of ways, such as fundraising, municipal contributions and in-kind support. This will ensure communities support funded programs.

How and where do I apply for gaming grants?

Guidelines: Applying for a Community Gaming Grant:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/gambling/grants/guide-cgg.pdf 

Step-by-step guide to the application process:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/gambling-fundraising/gaming-grants/community-gaming-grants

Online Gaming Grant Application Information Form:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/gambling-fundraising/gambling-in-bc/online-service

What are the deadlines for gaming grants?

Sports organizations are instructed to apply between February 1 and May 31 and will be notified of the result by August 31.

It usually takes the branch about 12 weeks to process community gaming grant applications received on or before the applicable sector deadline.

Accountability for Community Gaming Grants

All conditions, including reporting requirements, for all types of gaming funds previously received by an organization must be satisfied before another application will be considered.

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Maintaining a separate gaming account in the organization’s full name;
  • Having the organization’s full name and the words “Gaming Account” imprinted on the account cheques;
  • Making all disbursements from the gaming account in accordance with specified grant conditions;
  • Ensuring that cheques issued against the gaming account are signed by two signing authorities, at least one of whom must be an officer of the organization;
  • Submitting a Gaming Account Summary Report within 90 days of the organization’s fiscal year end, detailing all gaming funds received and disbursed and describing how the broader community benefited from the programs/services supported by community gaming grants;
  • Ensuring that records of cheques issued from the gaming account are accessible as part of the organization’s gaming records; and
  • Retaining all forms, records and receipts obtained from disbursement of gaming funds for a period of five years from the end of the fiscal year in which the funds were received. Complete records of all volunteered hours, material and equipment donations that comprise the 25 per cent local funding requirement must be retained as part of the organization’s gaming records.

Can Curl BC help my curling centre with our application?

Yes. Contact Jack Bowman at jackbow@telus.net or Scott Braley at sbraley@curlbc.ca to receive assistance with your application.

  • RSS
  • Newsletter
  • Facebook
  • Forum
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
Skip to toolbar