The External Sport Credentials Program gives high school students the opportunity to earn graduation credits for approved levels of competition as an athlete or coach.
|Athlete 10||Athlete 12|
|Earned by||Representing a Region or Zone at Provincials||Representing BC at Nationals|
|Competitions||BC Winter Games, BC Juveniles, BC Juniors||Optimist International, Canada Winter Games, Junior Nationals|
|Min Training Hrs||100||100|
|Coaching||Must work with a coach that is at least Competition Coach Certified||Must work with a coach that is at least Competition Coach Certified|
- Students do not have to be in a specific grade to receive that grade’s credit. For example a grade 10 student who is competing on a provincial team going to a national championship will receive credit for Athlete 12
- Students who have participated in the approved program before they reach grade 10 can receive credit for their past participation by obtaining written documentation to verify their participation
- Once a student has received credit for a particular level, he or she cannot receive additional credits for duplicate participation
- Students must contact Curl BC to receive a verification letter that is to be provided to your school counselor
- Students must show proof of the 100 minimum training hours being completed for each level of credit. For example, submission of a yearly training and competition plan which shows the minimum of 100 hours and includes competing at the BC Junior Provincials will complete the requirements for Athlete 10.
- Students must have their training and competition plan confirmed by their coach, who must be minimum Competition Coach Certified.
- Students are eligible to receive both Athlete 10 and Athlete 12 in one competitive year only if they meet the requirements for both levels in that one year.
Coach 11 – 4 credits
The student must fulfill the following requirements:
- One of the following NCCP Coaching Courses: Club Coach Youth, Club Coach, NCCP Introduction to Competition Part A or NCCP Run, Jump, Throw Course
- NCCP Making Ethical Decisions “evaluated”
- 30 hours of coaching experience monitored and reviewed by a Competition Coach Certified or Level 2 Certified coach
Students must send a copy of your NCCP records and practical coach experience verification letter to the Sport and Recreation Branch.
For more information go to the Ministry of Education’s website
To obtain a letter verifying you meet the requirements of the program please contact Penny Bartel at firstname.lastname@example.org.