Coaching Professional Development
Maintenance of Certification for NCCP Coaches
The Coaching Association of Canada and Curl BC recognize the value of having certified NCCP coaches that are engaged in Professional Development programs. This active engagement reinforces the value of lifelong learning and sharing amongst the coaching community.
In order for NCCP coaches to maintain their certified status, they will be required to obtain Professional Development (PD) points. In most cases coaches are already earning the required PD points and it is a matter of reporting these events so that coaches can be recognized for their efforts and track their progress.
How do I acquire PD points?
PD points can be earned through a multitude of activities that coaches already participate in including:
- Provincial and National Sport Organization conferences & workshops
- eLearning Modules
- NCCP Workshops
- Coach Mentorship Programs
- Active Coaching *coaching at club/camp events and/or coaching a team
- Non-NCCP Events
The number of PD points are subject to approval by the Canadian Coaching Association and Curling Canada
- Individual Coaches can report their Non-NCCP Events through our online form: Individual PD
- Facilities can report their Non-NCCP events for coaches to receive professional development points through our online form: Facility Events
How many PD points do I need?
Only CERTIFIED coaches are required to collect PD points. These coaches have completed the MED, training, and evaluation process. You can accumulate more than the minimum points requirement, but they will not transfer to the next cycle. Points will be reset to zero at the start of the new 5 year cycle. * PD points are sport specific, other sports may have different amounts.
- Club Coach Youth = No points required
- Club Coach = No points required
- Competition Coach = 20 PD points over 5 year cycle
- Certified Competition Development Coach = 30 PD points over 5 year cycle
- All Level 2 & Level 3 coaches *ensure you have transferred over to the current system
What happens if I don’t acquire enough PD points?
You will remain a certified coach but have a status of “not renewed” assigned to your certification. To renew your certification you will have to complete another on-ice evaluation and provide accompanying paperwork. Contact Kim Dennis for renewal evaluation fees.
When was Maintenance of Certification implemented?
- Effective January 1, 2014 the five (5) year certification cycle will begin.
- January 1 of any year will be the date used to determine the cycle of valid certification
- Example: If a coach is certified on May 1, 2014 their five year cycle will begin on January 1, 2015.
- See Canadian Curling Associations Policy on Curling’s NCCP Maintenance of Certification for more information.
Below are the various opportunities that coaches can use to accumulate PD points.
Professional Development Events and Camps
Train the Trainer:
- What: How to Teach Stick Curling * worth 2-5 PD points
- Where: Royal City Curling Club
- When: Sunday September 8th, 2019
- Register: Stick Curling Registration
- What: How to Teach Mixed Doubles * worth 2-5PD Points
- Where: Royal City Curling Club
- When: Saturday September 7th, 2019
- Register: Mixed Doubles Registration
In Person Coach Camps:
- Rockslide Summer Coach Camp: July 2019
- Active Coaching: Self reporting = 1 point per year
- Self Directed Learning: Self reporting = 3 points per year
- Canucks Autism Network (CAN): Click Here
- MED Online : Making Ethical Decisions
- Competition Development Modules: Competition Development Modules
- viaSport Events: viaSport Calendar
- Pacific Sport Network: FraserValley, Interior, Okanagan, Island,
- SportMedBC: SMBC Calendar
- Canadian Sport Institute: CSIEvents
- Respect in Sport: Activity Leaders and/or Parents & Guardians
- Canadian Centre for Child Protection (C3P): C3P Programs *Commit to Kids recommended
- C3P & CAC Guideline *Keeping kids safe in sport resource outline
- Curling Canada: competition development
- Coaching Association of Canada: PD Opportunities
- Up to date information circulated in the “Inside Coaching” eNewsletter by the CAC
- To receive the eNewsletter change your locker settings to “receive our emails”
Mentorship Events & Opportunities
Worth 1- 3 points depending on the topic.
- 2019-2020 Schedule Coming Soon
Missed a webinar? Now you can access previous webinars and earn PD points.
- After watching the webinar submit the Quiz and receive a passing grade of 70% to earn the PD points.
- Webinars are $21.00 for Members *Curlers from clubs affiliated with Curl BC and $28.00 for Non Members
Click here for the webinar library: archived webinars